IYSC Forum

News:

Welcome to the International Youth Scientific Congress Forum

Nanomaterials

Nanomaterials
« on: 12 July , 2019, 11:40:10 am »
Hello everyone!

First of all, I realized I didn’t introduced me in my first post. So, better late than never. My name is Laia Villalobos and I come from Badalona, a city of Spain.

I would like to open a new line to talk about the fantastic properties of all nanomaterials and its applications.

Doing my research, I found that if you reduce the size of a material converting it into a nanomaterial, it’s properties vary (e.g. the particle size, area and surface, stability, solubility, chemical reactivity...)

For example: More surface, more reactivity.
This happens because the atoms that where inside of the material pass to the outside. Inside a material the atoms are totally linked, while outside they are only partially, leaving some ‘space’ for other elements. So, its percentage of reactivity increases as the surface increase and the size decrease.

One of the ‘new’ nanomaterials are the quantum dots. I put new between quotes because they aren’t new. They were discovered at the end of the 80’s, but they are becoming popular now.

A quantum dot is a zerodimensional nanomaterial with a spherical shape. One of its main properties is that it can absorbe all the colors of the electromagnetic spectrum of sunlight. It adds the seven colors of the rainbow, as well as projects infrared and ultraviolet beams.

It being very important applications in the field of lighting. But also in the manufacture of solar cells much more efficient and cheaper. Taking into account that with the current made of silicon, only one of the components of the solar spectrum is absorbed, wasting the rest.

This is only one of all the nanomaterials. There are more, like the graphene, fluorene, nanoparticles of silver....

I let a link with more info. It has information about nanomaterials, but also about the entire nano world.

https://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology/introduction/introduction_to_nanotechnology_2.php

I would like to discuss with you this topic.
Enjoy your summer vacation.
Laia Villalobos

Re: Nanomaterials
« Reply #1 on: 13 July , 2019, 11:43:50 am »
Hi Laia, hi to everyone else, this is Matthias from Austria once again.

@Laia: Great post, keep up the good work!
@the rest of you: If you feel like something should be said about this, then just write a reply and engage in a discussion! Don't be afraid to ask any questions, if they should come up!

Do not hesitate to use the blog more often; if it's used frequently, it's about one of the most helpful things on Earth!
All the best and have a nice vacation,
Matthias

« Reply #2 on: 27 July , 2019, 20:32:48 pm »
Hello to everyone!

As Matthias has already said, I have found this post really interesting for understanding some basic concepts within nanotechnology and can be pretty helpful for those of you who don't have a wide knowledge on the topic.

However, veterans are here not just to congratulate your excellent work but also helping you improve with objective and constructive criticism. For example, I would have found it really interesting if you had given us an explanation on why QDs (Quantum Dots) are zero-dimensional structures if, in fact, it seems paradoxical; QDs are structures made of atoms, therefore they must be in a space and, consequently, must have at least one dimension. I would really appreciate if someone could give us an explanation on how nano-structures are classified in zero, one, two or three dimensional objects, as it was a basic concept that we needed to manage with in the last congress, and possibly you'll see them next November.

All the best with your research!
Javier Herrero, Veteran.
« Last Edit: 27 July , 2019, 20:48:31 pm by VET-ES-Javier »

« Reply #3 on: 02 August , 2019, 17:33:20 pm »
Hello everyone! My name is Adrián and I am from Palencia, a city at the north of Spain.

Laia has talk about quantum dots in the fields of lightning and solar energy. In my investigation proyect, I have mentioned another nanomaterial that could help in the versatility of modern solar panels, I am talking about Perovskites

Silicon has dominated the solar panel market for decades. In recent years, cells manufactured by Perovskita, a crystalline material, have rapidly approached silicon efficiency levels. Perovskites have the peculiarity that they can be synthesized at relatively low temperatures (compared to the 900º Celsius needed to eliminate imperfections of silicon cells), which means a lower cost. His films are flexible and colored so they lend themselves to a wider range of applications than those of silicon cells. For example, imagine a skyscraper with tinted windows that keep the interior insulated from heat while converting sunlight into electricity, reducing the air conditioning bill and supplying energy.

What do you think about them?

Adrián

« Reply #4 on: 03 August , 2019, 21:18:13 pm »
Hello everyone! This is Laia :)

I've never heard about Perovskites before, but according to what Adrian said, I think they can be a great weapon to fight against silicon, or even petrol and non-renewable energy sources that wear down the ozone layer every day.

I have searched it on the net, and  it still lacks of a bit of research. Even though, I don't think it would take so long to be in our homes. The first perovskite cell had an efficiency of 3%, five years ago it was less than 8% and nowadays it has exceeded 20%. But in some years (or not so many) this material could generate a breakthrough in our lives.

We could have solar panels that cost only 7 to 15 cents per watt, while they are selling for 55 cents. Taking these numbers into account, solar energy could compete with fossil fuels.

In the past, solar researchers have been divided into two sides in their quest to make solar energy cheaper. Some have tried to obtain solar cells that can be manufactured at very low prices, but have the disadvantage of being relatively inefficient. Lately, another number of researchers have focused on the development of very high efficiency cells, although they require more expensive manufacturing techniques.

To sum up, I think this new nanomaterial is the answer to our problems.

My best regards
Laia

« Reply #5 on: 06 August , 2019, 10:30:05 am »
Hi Laia and Adrián,

I found really interesting your posts about different nanomaterials that can solve such an important enviromental issue such as the development of cheap and effective renewable energy. However, in this research topic we don't only focus in nanomaterials applied to the production of energy; there are different enviromental challenges that we can find, for example, in the Sustainable Development Goals proposed by UN (United Nations). There are a wide range of different problems that we could solve through nanotechnology thanks to the almost unlimited possibilities when developing nanomaterials, therefore I invite you to investigate about other nanomaterials with new applications within the enviromental field.

By the way, I would like you to answer the question I already asked in a previous post: How can quantum dots be zero-dimensional objects? It would be really interesting if someone could explain how can we clasify different nanomaterials considering their size and, consequently, their dimensions.

I encourage you to continue using the blog to share the new information you have found; sharing is an essential part of the scientific process!
Kind regards,
Javier Herrero, Veteran.

« Last Edit: 19 August , 2019, 10:06:52 am by VET-ES-Javier »