IYSC Forum

News:

Welcome to the International Youth Scientific Congress Forum

Restrictions to Vehicles of Combustion Engines

Restrictions to Vehicles of Combustion Engines
« on: 18 July , 2019, 20:22:04 pm »
Hello guys,

I wanted to create a new topic to discuss about the restrictions which combustion engine vehicles have in order to boost the transition towards electric mobility.

In my country, Spain, these restrictions have taken place mainly in the biggest cities. For example, in Madrid, the vehicles which pollute more than a certain quantity of carbon dioxide determined by the local authorities are not allowed to enter the centre of the city.

Due to this scenario, there is a huge debate in Spain, some people agree with the decision made by the city hall and others strongly disagree with it.

I would like to know which is your point of view of this situation and if in your respective countries happens something similar.

Sincerely,
Pablo García

Re: Restrictions to Vehicles of Combustion Engines
« Reply #1 on: 24 July , 2019, 14:27:54 pm »
Hello Pablo!

Thanks for creating such a great topic to discuss about.

As this issue nowadays is being very polemical, I would like to give you my opinion about it.

It is clear that we are going through a transition period, from the internal combustion vehicle to the electric vehicle. The restrictions that governments are making on internal combustion vehicles are the first step towards the transition to the electric vehicle.

I consider these restrictions necessary because in most of big cities there is a lot of pollution and the fact that you can't use your car to go to certain places encourages people to walk and to use public transport, and in case you want to go to those places with your own car, you would have to buy an electric car.

Although I am in favour of these restrictions, there are people who aren't, and I understand it. Buying an electric car is expensive and those with lower prices are very small and do not have much range. To solve this problem, governments could give more subsidies.

As I see it, at this point we have two options: We can face the transition period and adapt ourselves to future changes or we can not evolve towards a more sustainable future.

What's your opinion about this topic?

Have a nice day.  :D
Eider Del Hoyo (Spain)

« Reply #2 on: 02 August , 2019, 17:15:31 pm »
Hi guys,
in my view the application of restriction to vehciles of combustion engine is very important for many reason. Firstly in the biggest the concentration of particulets can increase  be really high and therefore dangerous for people health. Secondly a reduction of car traffic lead to a low concentration of carbon dioxide in the air. This restriction are not that easy to applied because  they have lots of consequences on people life. For example not many people are willing to avoid using their cars.
Anyway I have found for you an interesting article about this restrictions.
https://climateprotection.org/.../Survey-on-Global-Activities-to-Phase-Out-ICE-Vehicl...

have a nice day
Govanni

« Reply #3 on: 06 August , 2019, 18:44:29 pm »
Hi everyone,

What countries are doing when forbidding pollutant vehicles to enter cities is a strategy which is part of negative campaigning. This kind of measures try to produce a change or inspire some decisions by discouraging to use all other alternatives or pointing out its defects sooner than actually improving one's products. In other words, we do not give people reasons to use non-pollutant vehicles, but reasons NOT TO use pollutant vehicles.

This is always a dangerous strategy, since it might inspire some kind of hate to renewable energies for being imposed, and its results will be usually reverted as soon as someone revokes any measure. Take just the example of the French "Yellow Vests", which were born to protest against At the same time, they are usually cheaper than positive campaigning, since it involves saving money in promoting, improving, etc. Moreover, no matter how good a product is, there will always be someone who prefers "not to change something that works perfectly", so, this kind of measures might force a change.

At the end, I think one may easily adopt an intermediate position (although there is not much time left for discussing, long-terms plans, and so on). For instance, pro-fertility regimes, for instance, used to create special taxes for unmarried citizens, while at the same time granting loans for every children a couple has. In the same way, governments might only forbid the most pollutant and old vehicles, while letting the modern ones to be driven if a tax is previously paid. This tax could be used to subsidize electric vehicles.

What do you think about this idea? Would the figures of "taxes" and "subsidies" match?

Best regards,
José Javier

« Reply #4 on: 10 August , 2019, 12:50:44 pm »
Greetings José Javier,

I partially agree with your standpoint of a negative campaign surrounding the industry of combustion engine vehicles in order to make the customers purchase electric alternatives. Nevertheless, as you also said, we are running out of time to reverse the outrageous contamination rhythm of mankind, therefore, although I think the ban on pollutant vehicles is unfair for their drivers, it is necessary to accomplish the transition towards electric mobility as soon as possible. The only way to speed this process up in the short term is by giving EVs an edge over its competition.

In my opinion, I believe we live in a time in which people will have to make many sacrifices for the future of the Earth, such as been forbidden to enter certain urban areas or pay more taxes.

And talking about taxes, I think that you have thought a great idea.
Currently, there are many taxes on combustion engine vehicles and there are also some subsidies and financial aid for the purchase of electric transportation. However, I think that we should enforce these taxes and subsidies in a smarter way.

Using an example you have exposed, in the same way as pro-fertility countries gave financial aid to families for each child they had, governments, could give major subsidies to families for each EV they purchase. As you also appointed, all this economic assistance to electric mobility should strictly come from the money risen from the taxes on combustion engine vehicles, not from other taxpayers.

What do you guys think about all this topic?

Enjoy your day,
Pablo García