IYSC Forum

News:

Welcome to the International Youth Scientific Congress Forum

V2G

V2G
« on: 08 August , 2019, 21:05:32 pm »
Hello guys,

Recently, I was replying a message regarding how to solve the problem of the increasing need of electricity. In my answer, I exposed that the best way to solve this issue was the storage of renewable energy, so it can be used at any time. Nevertheless, as I was responding, another idea which could be useful to deal with the growing demand of electricity came to my mind. I am talking about V2G.

V2G is an acronym which stands for “vehicle to grid”. This is a system which connects an electric vehicle to the power network using a communications protocol that links both the automobile and the grid.

This is a software-based technology which is under development right now. However, it is supposed to open a hole new world of opportunities. A good example of this, is the ability for the driver to sell a minimum part of the energy stored in the batteries to the supplier by transferring the electricity to the power grid.

Another fine use of this technology would be the energy storage capability. If we had a large number of electric vehicles connected to the grid, let’s say 150,000 automobiles, it would also mean that we have 150,000 battery packs also linked to the grid. Now imagine that we took just a few watts of electricity out of the battery of each vehicle while they are being charged. We would end up with an enormous quantity of energy to supply a large population.

These, are just two of the many different uses that V2G, but it has many more. This is one of the big topics when it comes to electric mobility, so I think we will be able to discuss and debate about this brand new technology for a long while.

I leave you some links to several websites and articles which talk about V2G.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/vehicle-to-grid

https://www.google.es/amp/s/thedriven.io/2018/10/19/v2g-whats-the-state-of-play-with-vehicle-to-grid-vehicle-to-home-technology/amp/

https://melodyreports.com/grid-to-vehicle-v2g-system-market-major-technology-giants-in-buzz-again-ac-propulsion-boulder-electric-vehicle-coritech-services/24243/

Best regards,
Pablo García

Re: V2G
« Reply #1 on: 10 August , 2019, 13:54:41 pm »
Hello Pablo,

The topic you have started is very interesting! You have included a lot of information about V2G, but I would like to add more info about it.

V2G is a very innovative energy storage system, but when will it be a reality?

Well, according to experts, it will be soon. Even though companies are still developing this technology, great advances have been made. For instance, Nissan has been testing this technology in London since 2017 and Honda has installed several units of its "Power Manager" in a pilot project in France.

As Pablo has explained before V2G means "Vehicle to Grid", but there are more acronyms which are similar but don't mean the same.

- V2H means "Vehicle to Home". (This technology enables the vehicle to provide energy to a house.)
- V2X means "Vehicle to everything".
- V2I means "Vehicle to Infrastructure".
- V2V means "Vehicle to Vehicle".
- V2D means "Vehicle to Device".
- V2P means "Vehicle to Pedestrians".

The most famous ones are V2G. V2H and V2X, the other ones are not very known that's why I included them in my post, so that you know them.

If you are interested in V2V, V2D and V2I, here I leave you a link to a webpage which explains them: https://www.iotevolutionworld.com/smart-transport/articles/420596-vehicle-to-everything-technology-will-be-life-saver.htm

In my opinion, V2G it's the best way to store energy. This system is beneficial for both the person who gives energy from the battery of his or her car and the grid who receives that energy when it's needed.

However, V2G has disadvantages too. It can accelerate the degradation of the battery, but it depends on the battery and energy management (With lithium-ion batteries and good energy management, battery degradation is very low.) Other disadvantages could be that nowadays there are not many V2G charger manufacturers and that EVs being connected to smart grids would be a new entry point for viruses and malware.

To finish my post, I set out this question: How can we solve these disadvantages?

Sincerely,
Eider Del Hoyo (Spain)