IYSC Forum

News:

Welcome to the International Youth Scientific Congress Forum

NBIC, the convergent technologies

NBIC, the convergent technologies
« on: 14 August , 2019, 13:15:23 pm »
Hi everyone again,

Today I wanted to introduce you all to a new concept widely known in the Nanotechnology field. I am sure that during your research, you would have read about the NBIC convergence, also called BANG. If you don't know anything about NBIC, is time to spend some time in the web and discover this new concept!

As I haven't read anything about this concept in the blog, I wanted to ensure that everyone knew something about NBIC convergence before this November's congress. Don't only share what does NBIC stands for but also explain what this whole revolution entails. How can the NBIC convergence affect the development of nanotechnology within the field of enviroment and energy? Why should we know about what is NBIC? I hope you are able to answer all my questions about this topic.

Looking forward to your answers!
Javier Herrero, Veteran.

Re: NBIC, the convergent technologies
« Reply #1 on: 16 August , 2019, 00:45:23 am »
Hello everyone  :)  This is Laia

NBIC is the combination of Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Information technologies and new technologies based on Cognitive sciences. This convergence is a development key element in the medium and long term future.

Not only it's a revolution in the world of research, but also in the entire world; it can affect our way of thinking and even understanding the world. Never before four 'different' sciences have came together with a simple purpose, to advance and improve our planet.

For example, in a region lacking of resources, a research group has used "basins" to grow microalgae without genetic modifications to obtain the necessary oil for the production of biodiesel. The carbon dioxide used in the growth of microalgae is separated from methane, both gases are present on the one produced in a biogas generator loaded with food waste and animal feces.
In this process gas-electricity, biodiesel, and fertilizer of the nitrogen waste from the generator are obtained.

From the residual membrane of the microalgae, carbon black is obtained. And if it’s mixed with substances with a ”manageable" ignition point and under appropriate conditions, produces carbon nanotubes (its current price ranges between 50 and 200 dollars per gram).

To sum up, it’s achieved to get biogas from garbage to produce electricity, fertilizer, carbon dioxide to feed the microalgae, oil from the microalgae to produce biodiesel and carbon nanotubes from the residual membranes after extracting the oil. All in poor areas and generating work.

This is the technology we need now. Again, the NBIC convergence is the development key element.

Have a nice holiday.

« Reply #2 on: 16 August , 2019, 01:54:02 am »
Hello again

Investigating a little more I have found that the NBIC convergence has achieved to invent the first agronomic robot.

Instead of the human brain which has 89,000 million neurons, it has a very similar one formed by interconnected neurosynaptic nanochips.

This robot receives information instantly from a low-cost nanosatile network and nanosensors distributed in the field that can provide information on the characteristics and conditions of the soil, humidity, basic nutrients, organic substances, how’s the growth is going and if the crop is okey, etc. .

If it’s necessary, it can introduce nanospheres and nanocapsules containing fertilizers, herbicides and even genetic material in the given area and in the right amount to edit genes.

It works the 24 hours using solar panels made with nanocrystals capable of feeding daylight with visible light and at night with infrared radiation flowing from the earth and reflected in the clouds.

I think its is a very peculiar robot and that without the support of all the different sciences it wouldn't have imagined. Although I don't think it's very economical, it caught my attention and I thought it was interesting to share this information with you.

Here I leave a video that I found. It is not the robot that I mentioned, but it is a simpler one and it’s more likely that, in my opinion, we can see in some years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QxCb1z7RZ0

My best regards,
Laia

« Reply #3 on: 16 August , 2019, 11:37:08 am »
Hello Laia,

First of all, I wanted to thank your contributions to the blog as they would probably seem really interesting to your fellows. I would also like to motivate the rest of participants to take part in this platform as you would find it really useful for writing your essay and increase your knowledge of nanotechnology in ordert to have a better participation in Bremen's Congress.

Moreover, I would like to bring up some new topics related with NBIC technologies that may be useful for your research:
  • As Laia has already said, NBIC convergence would affect not be just a scientific revolution but also entail a revolution in other sectors. How can NBIC convergence affect our economy? Which main consecuences would come up with this new revolution? It is really important to consider in your scientific research other knowledge fields such as economy or ethics in order to ellaborate a more complex and rigorous work.
  • I would like to hear of more examples of NBIC research and technologies. Even though Laia's example were fascinating, I would like to know of other examples specially related with our research topic: energy and enviroment.

I am really interested on hearing your answers!
Javier Herrero, Veteran.