IYSC Forum

News:

Welcome to the International Youth Scientific Congress Forum

Hi

Hi
« on: 04 September , 2019, 19:28:36 pm »
Hi guys!

I want to present myself (: My name is Flore Behaeghel, I'm 15 years old and I'm from Belgium (my school is Sint-Gummaruscollege Lier) and I'm one of this year's participants.

Actually I explored this forum a few days ago, I didn't take a look at it before so that's why I'm a bit late to present myself haha. That means I also started my research and paper a few days ago (I know, I have very little time left to make it so I'm a bit stressed). I think the subject is really interesting!

I also have a question for one of the veterans (I think that's how the participants from last year are called): how "professional" does the paper need to be? Because I've never did something like this before so I don't think mine will be that good and I'm a bit worrying now. Another question: do you really have to spend hours and hours researching? Because I think it's interesting and it's okay to research, but I have a busy life so I don't want to spend all my spare time researching and from what I read in the guideline I had the feeling like that's needed and it makes me worry even more haha.

Like, I'm just a student who's 15 and unexperienced and this seems all so professional and with strict rules etc and it stresses me so much.

Kind regards,
Flore

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: 05 September , 2019, 09:47:20 am »
Hello Flore,

My name is Pablo and I'm a veteran, which, as you stated, means I'm a former IYSC participant. First of all, I want to give you a warm welcome to this forum on behalf of all the veterans. I'm going to try to answer to your doubts as best as I can.

First of all, it is understandable that your paper won't be as professional as one of an actual expert, but that is okay, so don't worry. You don't really have experience writing formal papers, but that is one of the good parts of the IYSC: you'll gain some experience! Nevertheless, I recommend that you work on it as hard as you can to make it look as professional as you can by using appropriate vocabulary, punctuation and use of resources. You can find these guidelines in the Generic area at the index of the IYSC forum. Another good recommendation is that you read papers written by professionals while researching.

Referring to the research needed to do your paper, you obviously don't need to spend every single minute of your spare time to researching about your topic and produce a never-ending paper. However, I strongly suggest that you double check the information you find - because (1) it could be wrong or misleading or (2) you could have not understood it correctly - and that you write your paper in a way that everybody can understand it and nothing is taken into account. You don't need to go in depth about every single point on your essay, but make sure it is easy to understand for every person that may read it.

If I wasn't clear enough and you still have doubts, please don't hesitate to contact me or any of the veterans. We will be pleased to help you.

Cheers :D

VET-ES-Pablo

« Reply #2 on: 05 September , 2019, 19:01:51 pm »
Hi Flore,

I think that my fellow Pablo has already solved you almost all your doubts. I just wanted to advice you and the rest of participants about how to write a good essay, which is the purpose of the essay and how to save time when researching.

First of all, I would like to remind that the essay must be divided in three main parts: an introduction, an analysis and a conclusion. Moreover, you should also introduce an index including all the content treated in the essay. Your essay can talk about the general aspects of our research topic (which is Nanotechnology for energy and environmental challenges) or focus in an specific area within the topic. Both possibilities are equally acceptable, but studying the topic in an alternative o creative way would be really positive and interesting firstly for your contribution in the congress and subsequently for the whole research group. And this last point is completely related with the purpose of your essays; they would be your support during the congress' sessions for any contribution you want to give to the final presentation. Therefore you don't only need to complete the essay with useful information that you must be able to explain to your fellows but also include an important graphic content that can be used for doing the presentation, specially fotographs of scientific experiences, charts ... Click here to access to the guidelines you must follow when doing your essay.

On the other hand, you cannot only limit to know perfectly the information that you have been treating in your essay but also be able to talk and discuss about the main points within the investigation topic. Therefore, the blog is a really powerful tool to take advantage of: you can post information about your personal research for the rest of participants to read about it and discuss or complete your information, and also you can have access to another important amount of information that can be really interesting to have a look on it, such as topics about basic concepts of nanotechnology , quantum mechanics or quantum dots.

Hope I have helped you with your essay and research! You don't need to spend hours and hours researching if you know how to use your tools!
All the best,
Javier Herrero, Veteran.

« Reply #3 on: 09 September , 2019, 18:06:40 pm »
Hello Flore!!

First of all, welcome to the Forum! I am María Vaquero, a veteran, willing to help you all. As we (the veterans) have told you, this is a very important and useful tool. To participate in it is extremely important in order to be selected for the International Congress. You will be able to find interesting information you may want to use or include in your essays. Moreover, you will be able to participate in interesting debates regarding your topics and to share information you find important and necessary.

As my colleagues have well explained, even if the format seems very professional, you do not have to worry about it. You are not scientists nor experts in your topics. This is why we don't expect amazingly well written and explained thesis. This is just an opportunity to live science firsthand. All you have to do is your best.

I understand you, nevertheless, and I know it seems a bit unachievable to write a paper with such characteristics. When I wrote mine, I was pretty scared too!

As an ex-participant, I understand you. When I wrote my paper, I was pretty scared too! But you really don´t have to. As long as you do you best, you will easily accomplish the objectives.

I recommend you to read and understand the expert´s guideline. Everything is amazingly explained there and, as long as you follow the instructions, your paper will be exactly what we are looking for. Try to search and learn as much as you kind about Nanotechnology and new materials. As you become to know more and more about it, you will find yourself more confident and yo will be able to write a good essay and to use appropriate vocabulary. Remember that there are specific words and terms, and it is important that you understand them. Well-structured essays are required. Take into account the elements you have to include. Including subheadings, an index, etc. is important too as it helps keeping the information organized. Additionally, I encourage you to participate in the forum. As I wrote at the beginning, it is a requirement in order to participate in the Congress.

I hope my answer, as well as the ones of the other veterans, is useful. Please, let me know if you have any other doubt. We are here to help you!!

Good luck,
María Vaquero